In IE6/7, when you set the width of a <select> element, it will chop off the option text. It's an age-old question but I would like to record my attempt to this problem:
- create an inline block to wrap the <select> up
- set width and height of the inline block the same as the original select
- set position ‘relative' for inline block
- set position ‘absolute' for <select>
- when mouse over, set <select> width as ‘auto'
- when mouse click, toggle a flag ‘clicked' (using $.data)
- when mouse out and flagged as ‘clicked', reset <select> width
- when blur or change, reset <select> width
The reason for wrapping an inline block is that when <select> set/reset width, it would not affect the layout of other elements.
The ‘clicked' flag is used to indicate if the <select> is ‘expanded'. If it is, the mouseout event should not reset the width.
Here is the code (and of course only effective in IE6/7):